We’re told, “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” but what if someone gave you permission to choose a book just for the cover? What about that book that you don’t want to be caught dead reading, but secretly are dying to read? How about expanding your horizons by reading a book about books, a memoir, or a genre you don’t usually read?
The Provincetown Library 2019 Reading Challenge gives you permission to read just for fun while expanding your horizons. Read 12 books in 12 months. Choose your own books from 12 different categories, all of them guaranteed to bring you pleasure. Discuss your choices, have fun, and win prizes!
Anyone interested in a reading adventure can join our group on Facebook (the 2019 Provincetown Library Reading Challenge); sign up on the Library website, at the circulation desk in the Provincetown Library, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Signing up for the Reading Challenge qualifies you for a prize upon completion at the end of the year. You do not have to live in Provincetown to participate in the Reading Challenge, but anyone who checks all 12 books out of the collection at the Provincetown Library will get an extra prize.
Reading Challenge participants will be able to discuss their progress on Facebook, or in person at the Library’s Friday morning coffee hour. This will begin on January 4, 2019, at 10:00 a.m., and continue on the first Friday of each month thereafter.
This reading challenge originally appeared on a blog called “The Modern Mrs. Darcy.” Members of the Provincetown Library staff decided to challenge the Provincetown community to finish a similar list in 2019.
Here is the complete 2019 Provincetown Library Reading Challenge:
• A book you chose for the cover
• A book with a reputation for being un-put-down-able
• A book set somewhere you’ve never been but would like to visit
• A juicy memoir
• A book about books or reading
• A book in a genre you usually avoid
• A book you don’t want to admit you’re dying to read
• A book in the backlist of a new favorite author
• A book recommended by someone with great taste
• A book you were excited to buy or borrow but haven’t read yet
• A book about a topic or subject you already love
• A book you envy your best friend reading
Get out your library card and start reading!