In honor of former Cape Cod Poet Laureate Joe Gouveia, WOMR/WFMR continues its annual poetry contest, remembering his commitment to the poetry community while supporting a great community asset. Judge Marge Piercy will select the finalists for both national and regional categories. We are awarding $1,300 in prizes ($1,000 to the national winner and $300 to a regional, Cape Cod-based poet).
When is the deadline?
Monday, January 15, 2019 postmark. Send up to five of your best unpublished poems, any style or subject matter, no more than seven pages in total, and a $15 submission fee (check made payable to “Outermost Community Radio” with “Poetry Contest” written in the memo line of the check).
What else do you need to know?
- You must include a $15 submissions check per five poems submitted.
- All poems MUST be single-spaced, 12 point font or larger. Handwritten poems will not be considered.
- Only one poem per page. If the poem is continued on a second page, please include title of the poem on the second page, and staple both pages together. (No poem should exceed two pages.)
- Only unpublished work will be considered. If your poem has been published in any book, print or online journal, magazine or chapbook, whether self-published or not, please select something else. If you have submitted your poem to a journal and it is published prior to December 31, 2018, it is not eligible for the contest.
- Your name or any other identifying information must not appear anywhere on or in the poems. Instead, be sure to include a cover letter w/ name, address, phone number & email address & the titles of your poems along with the first five words of each poem.
MAIL ALL ENTRIES TO: Joe Gouveia Outermost Poetry Contest, c/o WOMR, PO Box 975, Provincetown, MA 02657.
Winners and finalists will be announced on February 12, 2019. Announcements will be posted on The Joe Gouveia Outermost Poetry Contest Facebook page and at WOMR.org. For more info you can email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the Joe Gouveia Outermost Poetry Contest Facebook page.