Here is a go to absolutely delicious, roast chicken recipe that has been handed down from a dear friend. The best kind of recipe.
- 1- 4/5 pound whole chicken, rinsed and dried
- 6- cloves of garlic -local or organic – sliced
- 1- whole lemon cut in half
- 1- whole orange cut in half
- 1- fennel bulb cut into 4 wedges
- 1- cup of olive oil- (please don’t sub for canola) we want that fruity olive flavor
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Stir together into a small mixing bowl: the juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange, the sliced garlic (all 6 cloves), the cup of olive oil (yes! 1 full cup).
- Put the chicken into an oven safe pan big enough to hold it.
- Stuff the chicken with one each of the spent lemon and orange halves and most of the fennel (depending on the size of your fennel) any that doesn’t fit you can put in the pan with the chicken.
- Salt and pepper the entire bird liberally.
- Put in the oven, uncovered at 500 degrees, but immediately turn down to 350 degrees and roast for one hour +10 minutes depending on your oven and size of the chicken, basting every 15 minutes with the olive oil dressing.
- Your chicken is done when it has a beautiful dark golden color and the leg juices run clear.
- Rest for 15 minutes before slicing and serving and use the pan juices for your gravy.
There’s more where that came from! Ptownie has more to share about our special town at land’s end. Check out our guide on how to cook and eat a lobster!