Provincetown History Snippets: When Did The Provincetown Inn Open its Doors?
The Provincetown Inn opened its doors in 1925, with twenty-eight guest rooms and a formal dining room. In 1942 it began to be used by the Coast Guard as a training station, but resumed regular operations after the war. By the 1950s the inn had added a new section of rooms on the second floor, followed by a more ambitious project: rocks and sand created an additional four acres of land, adding thirty-two motel rooms but also a pool, a boat launch, and shuffleboard and tennis courts. The inn was the epitome of the self-sufficient summer resort concept of the 1950s and 1960s, with a barber shop, a salon, a gift shop, a nightclub, a dress shop, a sauna, a bowling alley, and three different dining rooms. The inn’s fantastic murals were painted by Don Aikens about 1966, most of them inspired by turn-of-the-century postcards.
Click here to check out all of our Provincetown History Snippets!