- 2 lbs Colossal scallops
- 2 lbs red beets with stems and greens
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tsp diced preserved lemon
- 1 tbsp roasted garlic (7-8 cloves)
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped Italian parsley
- Greens of choice
- Beet greens
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash your beets and remove the stems and greens, set aside. In a small roasting pan pour the salt in and create an even layer across the bottom. Place the beets on top of the salt and cover with foil. The salt creates a bed to cook the beets on as well as season while roasting. Roast beets for 45 minutes. When you can poke them with a knife and it easily slides out, they’re done. While the beets are roasting, toss the garlic cloves in olive oil and wrap them in tinfoil as to make a “bag”. Roast for about 20 minutes and check periodically after that – it should look caramelized and be soft.
- When the beets come out of the oven peel them and add to a food processor with the roasted garlic and remaining ingredients. Blend until you get a smooth glossy consistency. Salt to taste. Set aside.
- Take out the scallops and set on a plate. Season with salt and let sit while you get your pan hot. When the pan is hot enough, sear scallops for about 2 minutes on each side. Take out of the pan and let rest on a paper towel.
- Mix the greens of your choice, in this case I used beet greens and frisée, with the citrus vinaigrette and parsley.
- Spoon out the beet purée and drag it across the plate. Set the rested scallops on top of the purée. Place the dressed greens on the plate next to the scallops.
There’s more where that came from! Ptownie has more to share about our special town at land’s end. Check out our guide on how to make Stranger & Saints dessert Mom’s Italian Cheesecake!