Provincetown History Snippets: Where Is Race Point Light Station?
As early as 1808, Provincetown’s residents asked for a lighthouse at Race Point. Travel was treacherous for vessels negotiating the bars at Cape Cod’s northern tip. Race Point Lighthouse was first lighted on November 5, 1816, and was one of the earliest revolving lights (meant to differentiate it from other lighthouses on Cape Cod).
By 1876, the old stone “tower” needed rebuilding, and was replaced by a 45-foot cast-iron lighthouse, lined with brick, and the Fresnel lens was installed.