Tennis Pro Job Opening in Provincetown
Provincetown Tennis Club
Position Title: Head Pro/Director of Tennis
Reports to: President of Board of Governors; in President’s absence, to the Treasurer
If interested please send questions and/or cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Provincetown Tennis Club (“PTC”) is an 100+ member-owned, 7-court tennis club founded in 1924 and operated seasonally (May 15 through Oct 15). The Head Pro/Director of Tennis is a USPTA/RTP tennis professional who directs all tennis activities, manages the assistant tennis pros, and serves as the “face” of the Club, working in concert with staff, member volunteers, and under the direction of the Board of Governors. This is a contractor position with no insurance benefits.
The Head Pro/Director of Tennis’ responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide USPTA/RTP professional level tennis instruction to members and guests at all levels of play through individual and group lessons and clinics;
- Oversee all tennis programming included but not limited to clinics, drop-in doubles, club tournaments, lessons schedule, round robins, and player ladders; ensure adequate staffing and management for all tennis activities;
- Play lead role in matching members, particularly new members, for games based on skill level; work in concert with Club
- Manager, other staff, and assistant pro(s) to develop systems and utilize existing platforms to further facilitate player matching;
- Recruit, hire, train, and supervise one or more assistant tennis pros (open level);
- Cultivate a welcoming social environment for tennis for all members and guests; set an example of fairness, good sportsmanship, and inclusiveness;
- Work in concert with the Chairperson of the Buildings & Grounds Committee and staff maintenance people to ensure that all courts are in good playing condition and available during hours of operation, weather permitting. Responsible for determining playability of all courts at all times;
- Work in concert with the Club Manager and the Chairperson of the Building & Grounds Committee to ensure that the Club grounds comply with all applicable operating requirements (including daily court and grounds maintenance);
- Explain and enforce compliance with club rules and code of conduct, as adopted by the Board of Governors; Recommend marketing and promotional programs for PTC to advertise and market membership, tournaments, clinics, lessons, fund-raising and other special events or activities;
- Attend the Board of Governors Meetings, if so requested.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Holds a USTPA/RTP license;
- Exhibits an enthusiasm for the game of tennis, as played by members at all levels of play;
- Has experience teaching tennis lessons and operating clinics at all levels of play, in individual and group settings;
- Has the requisite management experience necessary to satisfactorily manage assistant pro(s) and assist with Club management operations;
- Has a warm and inviting personality and a commitment to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for members and guests.
Metrics of success
- 80% of club members respond to an annual survey that they are satisfied or mostly satisfied with pro’s performance;
- Maintain membership at 100 members or more, accounting for attrition, and assuming steady membership fees;
- Pro contributions to the club from lessons and clinics equal at least $10,000 per season;
- Demonstrate strong leadership and professional development of assistant pro(s).